Saturday, December 8, 2007

Resume Improvements

Here are some things I've learnt about the way resumes should be (Thanks to all who helped)
  • Find out what you are applying for. Remove all the trash that is not applicable. Just realizing this simple fact helped me make a big improvement in my resume. I know its basic. But keep this in mind and look at every word in your resume.

  • The value of a line on the one page resume. Make every word and line in it count.

  • Identify the key characteristics the job you are looking for requires and use everything you've done in your life that might help to add to it.

  • Formatting is important - but not at the cost of content. Content rules!!!

  • Don't get carried away by what you think are the achievements of your previous job. More importantly look at how you communicate that experience makes you a better fit for the current job that you are applying to.

  • Mention clients by names - Name dropping always helps.

  • What was the bottomline impact of what you did? Putting in numbers always helps.

  • Don't bold too much in the cover letter. Mine was so full of bold that the normal characters were probably what the reader would look for.

My resume is a lot like it should have been before I started applying to most of the Banks. But then, since Banks are not really my focus, its better now than later I guess. I still know a few things I need to improve on it - but then will do that once I start my next round of apps. 

No comments: